9.23.2015

Loosing Sleep Over Broken Glasses

My son recently became so angry and frustrated at school he broke his glasses in half. He felt so ashamed and guilty that he let his anger get the best of him. His dad and I talked to him numerous times and explained to him that we forgive him for breaking his glasses and talked about ways to cope with stress and anger.

That night we kissed the kids goodnight and they went off to bed. Lucas came down later carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. “I can’t sleep,” he said with his head tucked into his chin. “I’m so upset at myself and I feel bad for breaking my glasses.”

The love and compassion I had for my son in that moment could not be contained. I lifted his head tenderly and I looked into his eyes and I told him to let this go. I told him how much I love him and that I forgive him for breaking his glasses in anger. I told him the guilt and shame he feels is Satan trying to control him and break down his spirit. I told him I understand what it’s like to get angry and I know what it’s like to do things you regret. The pain and remorse from a sudden act can blind you from seeing your true value and worth. But we need to not allow our sin to define us and we need to stop listening to what Satan is whispering in our heads and start claiming how Christ sees us; valuable, good, strong, and created for a purpose.

I kissed him and he went to bed but my heart was so heavy as I watched my son hold unto a situation that God has redeemed and wanted Lucas to be liberated from. The guilt, shame and regret we feel after a moment of anger or sinful decision can paralyze us from experiencing the love, grace, and mercy God so desperately wants to give us. He lovingly tries to loosen our grip from holding onto these painful memories but Satan has a way of tightening our grasp with self pity and shame so we continue to carry the chain long after God has broken the lock and liberated us from the weight.

It’s crazy how Satan can take what God has claimed and with two simple letters destroy our identity in Christ. Satan whispers, "You are UNworthy, UNable, UNwanted, and UNdesired. Your sin is too great and your anger too out of control for you to ever be able to forgive yourself.”

But God, like a loving parent, lifts up our heads tenderly and speaks truth to our lives and washes away that prefix to reveal our true identity, WORTHY, ABLE, WANTED, and DESIRED. He takes our sin and the Bible says He thinks of it no more. The only UN that remains is UNderstanding, grace, and mercy.

Our God can and is able to take all the hurt, pain, guilt, and shame of our lives and think of it no more. It is a quality unique to Him and one of His most glorious promises. God wants us to be free from our past because He knows when we are free we can truly experience the depth of His grace and be at peace in a decaying world where we are surrounded by guilt and painful memories. Satan will try to remind us and destroy our identity, but God has claimed us and we must constantly remind ourselves of Who we truly belong to.

So I celebrate broken glasses and empty Kleenex boxes. For they remind me of the power God has to refine my brokenness and restore my soul. I am humbled by my sin and broken before my Savior who takes the messy pieces of my life and transforms them into a beautiful story that points to his grace and goodness. 

Do not be shackled by your past dear friend. Release the chain because the weight was dropped a long time ago. Experience His peace and marvel in His love. Hold your head high and appreciate what He is trying to teach you by refining you through your sin and painful circumstances. Allow Christ to wash away that prefix and reveal your true identity. You are worthy. You are able. You are wanted. You are desired. And above all dear friend, you are loved and you are free.





No comments:

Post a Comment