9.01.2015

I Must Confess: I don't always want to go to church...

I don't always want to go to church. I don't always want to invest in people and I don't always want to drag my kids to a Bible study. It can be difficult getting the whole house in sync and ready to go. Sometimes I don't feel like worshiping or opening God's word after I've dealt with homework, pee pants, and car seat buckles. I'm exhausted. It's not that I don't value these things but they are just one more thing when all I want is nothingness. Yes sometimes, in my humanness, I don't want what the church has to offer.

So why do I invest in the church so much? Why do I choose to not listen to my emotions at times and go even when my house is falling apart and my mind is completely mush? It's because my house is falling apart and my mind is completely mush that I make community a priority... I have no where else to turn. You see friends. Our schedules will always be full and we will always have chaos. I have a full time job, 4 kids, and a full-time ministry. If my house was not chaotic I would worry I left a child at Walmart. That's the faze of life I'm in. I am surviving some days friends, but church and community that's my life jacket. These people pull me back unto the ship and by studying together and praying together I start to gain perspective. When I hear their stories and laugh when their children hit each other with foam noodles, I realize I'm not the only one raising future Wipeout contestants. The church and its people help me peel back the layers of crazy chaos to expose the beautiful blessing of love, family, and parenthood.

This beautiful thing called community which God created to hold us accountable, encourage us in hard times, and push us to be our best is worth investing in. People think Nick and I always want to be at church because we are in ministry. I can honestly say that is not true. There are days we go out of shear commitment. But here's what I've learned. On the days I make myself go, God always shows up and I see why we are commanded to be faithful. You see friends our emotions have feelings but they don't have a brain. Sometimes how we feel can lead us to make detrimental choices. Choices that rob us of the blessing God gives when we are faithful. It is in these times God proves to us why it was important to get out of bed and make an effort to check in that day.

It seems like Satan always knows how to get us down and he knows how to give us a few excuses that are valid reasons for staying home or not signing up. That's the tricky thing about the ultimate deceiver. He doesn't care how he keeps you out of community as long as you choose to not connect. It doesn't matter to him if it's too many kid's activities, a crazy work schedule, or young kids in the home. He doesn't care if our reasons are valid, he just wants our reasons to exist because as long as we have an excuse not to commit, he wins and God's design for our lives is stifled and lessened into what we can handle instead of something much bigger that can only be experienced through Christ.

Unless we get rid of the excuses and peel back the layers of why we really will not commit to Biblical community then we will never grow deeper, love greater, and experience all that Christ has to offer through His church. No matter what walk of life you are in, it was not meant to be lived alone. God designed Biblical community to stretch us, grow us, and sustain us through every faze and down every road. We cannot do this without each other. It's crazy to me how impoverished people understand this. They truly need each other to survive but even in their poverty they are content and blessed through Biblical community. So why is it when we have full bellies and clean clothes we down play and decide this is what is on the chopping block? I can't live without (fill in the blank) so I can't find the time to join a small group. I'd love to but I can't because of _________ so I'm going to have to pass.

Through our absence we rob ourselves of the growth God intended to take place in our lives. We opt out of the blessing that comes from being truly known and we make it very easy to come to church once a week wearing a mask to hide the sins we struggle with. We keep others at arms length and wonder why our relationships are suffering, our kids are not spiritually maturing and our lives feel incomplete and unsatisfying. Without connection, everything suffers. We were not designed to spend an hour a week ingesting God's word but never digesting it through small group discussion.

So my challenge to you my friend is this. I challenge you to be real with yourself and truly ask yourself what's stopping you from investing in a small group and experiencing what God designed for us in Biblical community. How can you evaluate your life and schedule to commit hour or two each week to go deeper in His word with others and building relationships with Christians who experience the same crazy chaos daily that you claim to be your own. Peel back the layers and really look at yourself and see if you can give some time to experience what God designed to sustain us and encourage us this side of heaven.

It's not easy friends and sometimes you will have to just be faithful and go but I promise you God will honor your commitment and through a small group you will experience the beauty of realness and the peace that comes from a group of people who love you through it all and have your back when you are up against a wall. Give it a try and connect in your local church more than just Sunday mornings. Invest in what can make a long term difference in your life, your marriage, and the lives of your children. Prioritize the things of Christ and be faithful so He can bless you in your sacrifice. 

As I wrap up my day, I celebrate the goodness of God. In His goodness, He gave us community so we would have others to share with, laugh with, cry with and carry when the road is too hard. May we all value this gift and all the blessings that come from being real with others. Let's tear off the masks and open our hearts and homes to others just as broken as we are. Let's stop giving reasons why we can't connect and start realizing we can't afford not to. 

Thank you Jesus for your love and provision. Thank you for the gift of friendship and community. Thank you for giving us Your word and the joy of being known by others so we do not have to navigate this crazy world on our own. I celebrate You and Your goodness and I praise You in all circumstances and situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment