3.05.2015

The voice in my head says, "Pray...pray."

There is a little voice in my head that tells me to pray. Normally, guilt inevitably follow after it speaks. I begin to shame myself and perform an internal verbally lashing for not giving God more and communing with Him more often. These feelings normally lead to more distance and the voice grows louder and frequent, "Pray.... pray...."

I have been hearing the voice often lately. I know I need to pray more but my schedule is so full and my mind mush by the time the kids go to bed. Last night I saw a beautiful image of Christ's church modeled at Countryside. The selflessness and vulnerability of my church family was very inspiring. I know we are on the brink of something and I know God is going to use us to further advance His kingdom in Maryville. I see growth, transformation, and restoration daily in the lives of my church community and the voice keeps growing louder, "Pray.... pray...."

This morning I woke up and started to get ready for work. I always pray Psalm 143: 8 "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." After I prayed this prayer I began to think about my church family and pray for them. I prayed for what is coming and I prayed for my husband and BOOM! It hit me and I started to cry. The voice is telling me to pray not to shame me or make me feel guilty but to prepare me and protect me as I travel the road coming.

When we pray for the future and we pray for what God has in store for us, we are preparing ourselves for the road that is ahead. My God loves me so much and He knows the plans He has for me; He knows what my future holds. When I hear Him say "Pray... pray..." it's not to make me feel inadequate for my lack of prayer. On the contrary, it's to adequately equip me for what He has planned for me next. 

Offensive prayers, prayers that attack and engage what is coming provide protection, peace, and joy when we reach the difficult stretches of road ahead. When sickness comes, conflict arises, or life altering events take place the prayers previously prayed for protection, peace, wisdom, and unity will be our safety belt to keep us secure and able to weather the turbulent storms. The best defense is a good offense. 

So I celebrate the voice that calls me to pray and I celebrate my God who loves me enough to call. I celebrate the power of prayers and the way a life built on prayer is able to handle anything that it encounters. Thank you God for listening, loving, and answering my prayers. Thanks for being active and engaged in our relationship. Keep being the little voice in my head as I live life seeking and serving You. 

"Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
 ! James 5: 13-16 

No comments:

Post a Comment