1.15.2015

Celebrate His Devotion


Psalm 71

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
    turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
    to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,
    from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel.
For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord,
    my confidence since my youth.
From birth I have relied on you;
    you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.
    I will ever praise you.
I have become a sign to many;
    you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
    declaring your splendor all day long.
Do not cast me away when I am old;
    do not forsake me when my strength is gone.
10 For my enemies speak against me;
    those who wait to kill me conspire together.
11 They say, “God has forsaken him;
    pursue him and seize him,
    for no one will rescue him.”
12 Do not be far from me, my God;
    come quickly, God, to help me.
13 May my accusers perish in shame;
    may those who want to harm me
    be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 As for me, I will always have hope;
    I will praise you more and more.
15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,
    of your saving acts all day long—
    though I know not how to relate them all.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
    I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your mighty acts to all who are to come.
19 Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens,
    you who have done great things.
    Who is like you, God?
20 Though you have made me see troubles,
    many and bitter,
    you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
    you will again bring me up.
21 You will increase my honor
    and comfort me once more.
22 I will praise you with the harp
    for your faithfulness, my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
    Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips will shout for joy
    when I sing praise to you—
    I whom you have delivered.
24 My tongue will tell of your righteous acts
    all day long,
for those who wanted to harm me
    have been put to shame and confusion.

There are times in life when things are just not going our way. Maybe relationships at home are strained and that frustration bleeds over into the workplace. Maybe financial problems weigh heavy on your mind and relief from this burden is not within your grasp. Maybe its the day to day routines and obstacles that scratch at your resolve and have your spirit bruised and worn down by bedtime. 

David cried out to the Lord for refuge and protection. He asked for deliverance and strength when he was weary and tired from the battles of life. He asked God to stay close and to come quickly because he needed relief from the wicked and those that spoke against him. What I love is that while David cried out, his hope and trust in the Lord never wavered. While David struggled and was oppressed, he knew God was his strength and refuge. He knew he could always go to God and knew God was mighty no matter what came his way. 

Verse 14 is an amazing passage of scripture. David is lamenting because things are not going his way but he says, "As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more." He goes on to write praises to God and testify to God's wonder and majesty.

Friends I don't know what in life has got you down and is not going your way. I don't know what troubles fill your mind and cloud your judgement. I'm not sure what valley or mundane road you are traveling but I do know God must to be praised and trusted in all situations including the difficult ones. We need to celebrate, not because we are happy things are difficult but because He is with us leading us through this difficulty. He is devoted and faithful to us in all circumstances and situations. He is there with us; navigating our trail and guiding us when the road is foggy and not easy to maneuver.

So I celebrate today the choice we have to praise Him and trust Him when things aren't going our way. I celebrate the beauty we can discover in the darkness if we are willing to focus our attention on the One who gives light. I celebrate a God who leads us through many bitter troubles and restores us back to life. I celebrate when my spirit is bruised and beat down, God is there to strengthen and heal me. 

When things are difficult and not going your way, gravitate towards His goodness and fixate on His promises. Stay faithful, always have hope, and celebrate for His righteousness reaches to the heavens and He has done great things. Who is like God? No one. He is our comfort and He is our strength. Let's sing and praise Him for His faithfulness and always remember His devotion is something we can always celebrate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment