9.16.2014

Do You Think She Likes Me Momma??

Lily loves being a big sister. She tries to hold Stella and love on her all the time. She desperately wanted to hold her this afternoon as Stella smiled and cooed at me. I had Lily sit in the chair and I put Stella on her lap. Even though it was getting close to feeding time, I hoped Lily could get some quality time in with her sister. She cooed and loved on her sister but slowly Stella's mood began to change as the hunger pains grew in her belly. Lily wanted so badly to calm her sister. She told me not to worry and that she had it under control. She tried to sooth her with her pacifier and by bouncing her in her lap. She talked to her calmly and in her best momma voice tried to coerce her to stop crying. As she rocked and soothed her hungry sister she asked me, "Momma do you think she likes me?"

As I watched Lily rock sweet Stella I began to think about my own relationships. How desperately I want to calm the moods and fix the problems of the people I love. I try to reassure myself I have things under control as I rock them through addictions and failed relationships. I don't have the resources, strength, or ability to fix the emotional pains afflicting them. Yet, I keep rocking and trying to sooth the outward symptoms of sin while their souls are crying out for spiritual nourishment that only comes from the Father.

Truth is my friend, we can put a pacifier in the mouth of those who are spiritually malnourished, but only Jesus can truly feed the emotional hunger to satisfy their bellies. Only through accepting His sacrifice can our loved ones be truly restored and freed from the bonds of addiction and sin.

As we journey through life with the ones we love who wrestle with sin and addiction, we feel like they don't like us or respect the sacrifices we make for them. We can't fix them and begin to doubt ourselves as Satan creeps in and puts doubt in our minds where it hurts the most. We take their addiction personal and just like Lily wonder if they truly like us or see the sacrifices we make on their behalf. These doubts and disappointments play in our minds as Satan tries to deceive us and convince us they are a lost cause when the solution to quench these fears exists if we reach out and grab it from the Heavenly Father.

There is always hope. God can restore and nourish the souls of even His hungriest children. We must keep praying, loving, and believing as we give our loved ones into the hands of Jesus so He can feed and nourish them when they are ready. So I celebrate the hope I can always cling to. I celebrate the restoration that will always be given to those who ask. I celebrate how my God can feed the hungriest souls and comfort His children who are rocking and soothing their loved ones through pain and addiction. I celebrate the wisdom and perspective He gives to those who are stung by the product of sin in the lives of the ones they love.

Our God is a God who can heal those in sin and hold those affected by the pain of addiction and sinful relationships. Cling to hope, allow God to feed, and celebrate along the way as He unfolds His story and unravels His plan. Our God can restore even the most hopeless of circumstances, and that is reason enough to celebrate! 

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5: 6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment