9.22.2014

Traffic Jams and Fry Boxes That Aren't Quite Full

I love ballgames! There is something special about being at a ball park. The smell of funnel cakes and loaded nachos. The excitement when the music plays to energize the crowd. You might not know the person sitting next to you but for 3 hours you are comrades in battle as you cheer on the home team to victory. Ballparks are a place where dreams come true not only for the player who scores their first grand slam, but also for the little boy who dreams of catching a foul ball or getting an autograph from a baseball legend. At the ballpark, nothing else matters but the winning run, there is something special about the ballpark.

My husband took me to a Royals game on Saturday. I'm not a huge Royals fan, but I love watching baseball games. It was a beautiful sunny day at the ball park and I enjoyed my loaded nachos and booing during controversial plays. We brought Stella with us and I didn't know how that would go, but as she slept during the roar of the crowd I felt at ease and even though the Royals could not claim a victory, I enjoyed this close to perfect day.

As we were leaving the ballpark, the traffic was insane as hundreds of cars lined up to leave after an intense and disappointing game. Stella was calm and cuddly for each inning but as we were stuck in traffic, she starts to cry and fuss as feeding time creeps closer and closer. We sat for 15-20 minutes but when you have a screaming infant, that feels like an eternity. We needed to turn left out of the lot into the road that took us to 435 HWY. A large white Lincoln suburban blocked our way and refused to let anyone escape. Although traffic in his lane was backed up as far as the eye could see, he would not budge and crept inches forward every time his lane moved the slightest bit so no cars could turn out either direction.

I was frustrated, frazzled, and impatient as Stella cried for substance and nourishment behind me. I wanted so badly to feed her but did not want to risk her choking and could not feed her safely while we waited. The cars in his lane moved forward again giving us enough room to escape and turn left unto the road but of coarse the Lincoln, for whatever reason, refused to allow us to be liberated from this traffic nightmare and crept forward again blocking our exit.

I threw my hands up and an exasperated expression filled my face. This was ridiculous and out of shear desperation I began to be outwardly frazzled and disgusted. Nick being the calm collective man he is instructed me to stop and helped me process and put things into perspective. Everyone needs someone who can speak Godly truth into their lives at the most pivotal times and I'm so thankful I married such a man.

Nick reminded me my frustrations and impatience was not unique in this situation, everyone felt this way and I have a choice, choose anger or choose joy. Shortly after we started moving Stella fell asleep and we fed her when we stopped for dinner. We went to one of my favorite restaurants and patience crept back into my soul as I ate the best cheeseburger in Kansas City. On the drive home I thought about what Nick had said to me. By being patient and not disgruntle we allow Christ to be seen in us. Who knows what situations everyone around me is going through.

In a world broken and mutated by sin, mankind is plagued with pain and hard situations. Maybe the person behind you in line is going through a divorce or perhaps the woman taking your order is in an abusive relationship. Our frustration in the moment can seem petty and small in the midst of disease, divorce, and despair. Everyday encounters may be consumed with cancer or infertility and in the midst of true struggles it is hard not to show sympathy and understanding. Just like the driver of the Lincoln suburban perhaps their attitude and actions do not scream kindness and understanding. They may not give a friendly smile or allow you to turn left, but they might possibly be walking through a dark lonely valley where a smile or undeserved understanding and patience could provide a ray of light to lead them through a portion of their darkness.

We should never expect a godless world to possess Godly values, but should expect us to. It shouldn't surprise us to be wronged or mistreated but it should surprise the world when we wrong or mistreat others. The truth is friends, we might be the only smile a solemn face receives that day. Do you want to waste the opportunity God gives you to be light because you did not get enough ice in your diet coke? Shine his light bright in the little nuisances of life so those around you can see a representation of Christ's patience multiple times a day. Christians who practice this simple truth are infectious and people are naturally drawn to them and in return, drawn to Christ.

So I celebrate traffic jams and fry boxes that aren't quite filled all the way. I celebrate the opportunity to smile and show I value the checker at Walmart. For when we take the time to love and value people no matter how busy or insignificant the meeting seems, we provide an opportunity for that person to see Christ. When people encounter Christ transformation happens and lives are eternally changed. An opportunity to be light in His name is worth waiting in line for an extra 10 minutes and maybe through these simple acts we can sooth the pain found in our broken world until Christ can come and make this world new again.   

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
~Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment